It’s been several years now that LEGO Christmas fanatics have dreamed of adding a LEGO Christmas Train to their collection. As it turns out, this is the year their wishes come true!
Say hello to the new LEGO Winter Holiday Train set! (That was an affiliate link, btw, and you find a few more below…)
Celebrate the holidays with this festively decorated LEGO® train set, featuring a sturdy green engine with red locomotive wheels and a large smoke-bellowing stack, plus a coal tender, flatbed wagon with holiday tree, gifts and toys, and a cozy red caboose where you can join the ticket collector at the table for a warm cup of cocoa. Have fun loading up the toys and gifts and watch the holiday tree rotate as you journey around the track. Stop to pick up the passengers at the charming boarding platform with its bench and lamppost, then join the driver in his cab and help deliver the precious cargo on time!
- Includes 5 minifigures: a locomotive driver, ticket collector, grandmother, boy and a girl.
- The Winter Holiday Train includes 16 curved pieces of track, engine, coal tender, flatbed wagon with holiday tree, toys and gifts, caboose, boarding platform, bench and a lamppost.
- Decorate the Christmas tree and drive the train to see the tree rotate.
- Join the ticket collector in the cozy caboose for a delicious cup of cocoa.
- Gather the family for some festive LEGO® building fun!
- Includes dual building instructions for a perfect family build.
- Accessory elements include green wreathes, decorative lights and white tree pieces, plus wrapped gift elements and tiny brick-built toys, including a micro train, wind-up car, fire truck, remote controlled robot, sailboat and a spaceship.
- Upgrade with LEGO® Power Functions (not included) for a motorized engine.
- Special elements include small and large red train wheels, dark tan windows, train buffers, cow catcher, white tree elements and roller skates.
- This set includes over 700 LEGO® pieces, including 16 curved tracks.
- This set offers an age-appropriate building experience for ages 12+.
- The Holiday Train in total measures over 4” (12cm) high, 20” (52cm) long and 2” (7cm) wide.
- Curved rail track diameter measures over 27” (70cm).
On the LEGO site, you’ll see the set releases October 1st, 2016 and will retail for $99.
My suspicion is that we will see it even sooner… maybe as the special VIP set mid-September.
Our Initial Thoughts on the New LEGO Christmas Train
It’s a lovely set and in all honesty, for a while this was our dream as well. We found ourselves pining over the long retired LEGO Holiday Train set and longingly admiring the LEGO Emerald Night Train set… two very suitable train sets for any LEGO Christmas buff.
However, as I’ve mentioned before, both of these sets are much more expensive than we feel comfortable spending. That is why we modified a LEGO Harry Potter Hogwart’s Express and copied the styling of some of the original LEGO Holiday Train to make our own version.
However, now this new version is coming out and I won’t lie… we are highly tempted to pick it up. You should notice, though, that the price is a considerable jump from the previous two Christmas sets. At $99, this set price per piece is 15¢. A little rich for our blood again, but as LEGO Christmas buffs, hard to pass on regardless.